Tuesday, April 4, 2017

They're watching us.

Recently my daughter has been moving the rug by our sliding door to the middle of the living room so she can stand on it, then roll around on it for a while she grunts and babbles.  The first time she did this I wasn't sure what she was up to, then she did this...
Yep, that's the yoga "chair" pose.  Duh - she moved the rug to where I put down my yoga mat to practice, she was doing what I do! Wait, oh no....she was doing what I do.   

It isn't always at the forefront of my mind how much she watches me, thankfully the times that I have been reminded it has been positive - but I am sure there will be times when I wonder at her behavior then cringe because it mirrors mine.

Our kids are watching us, we might not always think so but they are.  Let's challenge ourselves to be aware and intentional in our actions, and of the example that we set for them to follow.  

I want my little girl to see me showing love and compassion towards my family.  I want her to see me present, to see my time and energy invested in things that actually matter and to see me follow through with what I say I will do.  I want her to value a strong mind and nurture her body because she saw me do the same.      

There are always going to be storms that life throws our way, worse yet there will be storms that life throws at our kids, our example will teach them how to weather those storms.  They're watching us, so let's teach them to be consistent even when it isn't convenient, let's show them how to be flexible but strong, patient yet focused, steadfast, intentional and present.  


Or let's at least do some yoga,
D & H


 



No comments:

Post a Comment