Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Laundry Room - Easy Redo

I decided to change up our laundry room (yes, again) to add functionality and make it feel more cozy. 


This room is definitely more girly than I would typically do for our home, but I absolutely love it. 

I repainted the cabinets in Behr's Violet Vista and Glidden's Miller's Cove Sage, both of which I found at Home Depot. 






D modified an over-the-door folding ironing board so hangs hidden behind the curtains on the wall.

Functionality:
1) Add hidden folding ironing board
2) Clean out all cabinets
3) Create organized storage space in cabinets for greeting cards & gift wrap in cabinets for easier access  

I also used this cabinet to store vases, disposable plates/silverware & printer paper.  Seems like a random mix of items, but all are things I use on a regular basis. 
 
The cabinets over the washer I use for laundry detergent & cleaning supplies.  It may not be Pinterest worthy, but it is REAL LIFE, also it keeps the cleaners out of the reach of kiddos!  

Small changes in a home can make a big difference.   It is even more rewarding to use things you already have in a new way, and simplify the space to fit your needs.  The total cost for this redo was around $30 for the new ironing board and took me a few hours to complete.

I'm not expert, but here are my tips:
1) Clean out all cabinets and drawers.

We have a small home, so using the space we do have wisely is crucial. 

2) Consider how the space could be used better.  

For me, I'm always digging through my craft/wrapping shelves in the garage which is not ideal.  So I used containers I had around the house to organize my greeting cards, ribbons, etc and now I have easy access for when I need to throw together a sweet gift or send a thank you card. 

3) Pick a color palette for inspiration.  

I had some color ideas and (no exaggeration) D and I have > 20 sample paints in the garage, so I really didn't have to look far.   If you don't have paint on hand, the sample sizes are only a few bucks at your local hardware store and are great to have around for little projects. 

4) Use what you have.

Raid your house/garage/closet for pieces that fit along with your color palette or that are good candidates for being painted (i.e. picture frames, wood boxes, glass vases, planters)  

Paint the pieces to go with your color palette, use varying textures to create an interesting space.  

5) If you have pieces you love but don't fit in with the decor, use them anyway! 

There are a few signs in our little laundry room (i.e. "Laundry...Drop Your Pants Here...") that are adorable but not really my style, things like that make a cheerful addition to the inside of a cabinet.  Yep, you read that right. I am suggesting that you decorate the inside of a cabinet.  

6)  Don't be afraid of messing up. 

If it takes a few revisions to get it right, who cares. Repaint it. Reorganize it. Rethink it.

Change is good, 
D & H

  

No comments:

Post a Comment