Tuesday, October 2, 2018

DIY Dresser Makeover: Tricks with Chalk Paint & Wood Trim

We had fun turning this chest into a sweet little dresser for our toddler.

 Before

After

To give the chest more of a country look, we found a wood bead trim similar to this one and these accent moulds.  D added the trim around the doors and mouldings to the top and bottom.

 
 Adding the Moulding

Initially I painted the mouldings black, then I used leftover paint from her room to create the chalk paint for the inside and outside of the dresser by mixing a 3-1-1 ratio of paint, water and Plaster of Paris.  Then I gently sanded the edges of the legs, corners and mouldings so the dresser didn't look brand new.  I then used Minwax Finishing Wax to finish it off.

I added baskets to help her keep her clothes organized and it is just like having little drawers in there. 



This chest is special to me because it was given to me by my grandmother.  As an artist with a VERY particular sense of style, I am sure she would have opinions on what we did to this chest, but beyond a doubt she would absolutely LOVE that it is in her great-granddaughter's room getting used every day.

~D&H

No comments:

Post a Comment